Strong Advocates, Compassionate Counselors

Virginia Lawyers Working To Maintain The Bond Between Men And Their Children

In the past, mothers were typically the main caregivers to children. Courts, and even some statutes, enforced this distinction by favoring women in custody disputes. Some people still cling to this outdated way of thinking, which can make it difficult for fathers to get fair treatment in parenting matters. However, today’s law does not give preference to one parent over another in legal disputes involving children. At the law firm of The Bice Law Group, we have over 35 years of experience advocating for the rights of Virginia fathers. Founding partner David B. Bice is a Lynchburg fathers’ rights attorney who draws on his in-depth legal knowledge to fight for your interests and those of your children.

How Does A Father Request Primary Custody Of Children In Virginia?

The first consideration of the court is the child’s best interests. If you believe that seeking primary physical custody is what’s best for your child, we will help you make that case. Courts can review any factor when making a custody determination, including a mother’s drug use, emotional abuse, or other issues that could affect your child’s welfare. In negotiations and custody hearings, we are skillful advocates for fathers in negotiations and custody hearings.

Can I Modify A Child Support Order?

You can ask for a child support order to be modified when a parent’s financial situation or other relevant circumstances have changed substantially. Under Virginia law, orders may be modified if the paying parent loses their job or has a decrease in income of 25% or more, if either parent has a substantial increase in income, if the child becomes emancipated, and for other reasons. We will advise you on what type of information you will need to prove the changed circumstance and file the modification request.

How Do I Combat Parental Alienation?

Parental alienation is when one parent tries to turn children against the other parent. They may bad-mouth their ex-spouse, tell lies about them or keep children from seeing them. Fathers can combat the effects of parental alienation by not engaging in the same negative behavior, not blaming their children, and by staying in touch. In legal terms, parental alienation that can be proven in court may be factored into custody decisions. If you believe your co-parent is engaging in this improper behavior, we’ll examine your situation to determine whether there may be a legal remedy.

What To Do If The Mother Is Denying Visitation

Mothers’ rights are important, but they don’t extend to denying visitation. If there is a court order in place, you can’t legally be denied visitation. If the child’s mother is denying it, you can ask the court to enforce the visitation order. We staunchly support fathers who are unfairly denied visitation with their children. We will advocate on your behalf to have it enforced.

What Are The Steps To Establishing Paternity Of A Child?

If you’re unmarried, you can establish paternity and become the legal father of your child in the following ways:

  • If you and the mother agree that you are the father, you can both sign a “voluntary acknowledgement of paternity” and file it with the state.
  • You can seeking genetic testing through the state.
  • You can bring a paternity action in court if your paternity is being disputed.

We are dedicated to helping fathers who want to be part of their children’s lives. Our attorneys can guide you through the process of establishing paternity.

Contact A Dedicated Fathers’ Rights Lawyer For Legal Help With Parenting Disputes

At the family law firm of The Bice Law Group in Lynchburg, we stand up for the rights of Virginia fathers during disputes involving child custody and visitation, child support, and more. To schedule a free consultation, call our firm at 434-509-0232 or contact us online.